An Update

Folks, there’s a problem and it’s past time to let you know about it.

Here’s the issue: in the past, I have first asked for small deposits, to get a count of serious buyers. After a time, I would go to the printer with the count, get a current price, and then set the selling price. Based on past experience, however, I had already set the price for your copies.

Following that, I would ask for a substantial amount of money, to cover my costs. I cannot afford to just buy 100 sets, for example, so the buyers, through their first payment of $600 to $900, get the ball rolling. One of the reasons I have done it this way is that although I don’t have to print the entire set at once, I do have to buy all of the material so that covers and pages match in texture and color. As a result, there’s a hefty up front charge, hence the large first payment.

The strangest thing has happened. Few people have answered the call for the first large payment. I have begun to send out individual reminders, but some are unanswered, others ask for a bit of delay. I have never seen this happen before.

Now I am in the position of time going on, holding a lot of deposit for a long time, and unable to proceed. I have come to the conclusion that if I cannot find someone to front the printing costs (to the printer, not me!), I must cancel the second printing, and return everyone’s deposit. This I can do, but I have struggled trying to find a solution. I’m not coming up with one.

I’m am sorry to be so blunt about this, but there it is. Deposits are secure: they can all be returned. I have two or three other possible individuals to approach for funding, but it’s looking like a slim chance.

If you have questions, post them or e-mail me. If you’d just like your money back now, let me know that and I’ll take care of it. I don’t hold out a lot of hope of finding a backer, so returning your money is fine with me.

Two or three people, who first paid either in full or a large deposit, will get sets from my personal stock. I will also have a few damaged sets that I will offer to people in the order of their deposits. The damaged sets are readable, but have cover or water damage.

I’m very sorry about this mess.

 

Advertisements

7 Comments

  1. bibliorex said,

    May 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm

    Bob,

    Sorry to hear about this. For those of who already have the books and have provided a deposit for the slipcase, are there any updates? I’d still really like one. Thanks! I promise to pay in full within 24 hours of receiving the invoice.

    Andrew

  2. May 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm

    It’s not a happy time to be a publisher of printed editions. Good luck!! And please let me add that it’s encouraging to see ethics at work in business. More and more these days, honesty gives way through opportunism and self-interest to plain fraud and thievery.

  3. takeha said,

    May 5, 2013 at 11:12 pm

    Bob how much cash is needed? Perhaps a small group could get together to raise the funds?

  4. Jim Pattison said,

    May 6, 2013 at 10:34 am

    Bob,

    I’d also be interested in knowing where things stand with the slipcases. If you plan to proceed, let me know how much I still owe and I’ll send payment right away. On the other hand, if it’s not worth the effort and you want to issue refunds, that’s OK as well.

    Jim

  5. Peter said,

    May 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm

    I think this post relates to the second edition of the compact edition, not the slipcases. Right?

  6. Matt said,

    May 8, 2013 at 10:15 pm

    sorry, should have replied to this message instead of the slipcase one: I’d be happy to pay upfront for the books, i was just holding back because the slipcase amount hadn’t been settled. If you can find a solution and finalize the numbers I’ll put the check in the mail asap. thanks for your efforts, they are appreciated!

  7. Duffy said,

    May 8, 2013 at 10:29 pm

    I would really like to see this printing succeed, and I applaud your efforts to find a solution in spite of circumstances that must be very frustrating for you. You may already have considered it, but perhaps the project would benefit from a crowdfunding (e.g. Kickstarter) treatment. You might unearth new sources of support that way.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: